Wednesday, September 19, 2007

first of many, hopefully...

Well, this is my first official blog ever. For those of you that read it, hello. This whole blogspot thing is kind of an experiment for me, we'll see if I like it and how long it lasts. I hope this becomes a place I can talk about what's going on in my head and in my heart, and what life in seminary is like. I guess I should start with tonight.

Tonight I had Bible study with a few friends down the street. They're all students at southwestern and it's led by Willis, a good friend of mine from College Station. He's the pastor of a small church in town that I will most likely be attending called Bethel, more about that later on down the line. We're studying 1 John by the way and it has proven to be pretty challenging. John gets up in your grill, and if the reader doesn't balance out some of the harsher verses with others in the text it would be easy to get carried away. Lately a theme in my circles has been salvation. Probably not a shock to many considering salvation is an important feature of the Christian faith. More specifically, what is evidence of salvation in a person's life? Can we judge the salvation of others? By the way, my answer is no, John is not telling us to do so but he is saying we should examine our own lives. These questions lead down long, winding roads only made easier by further study of other areas of scripture. My own knowledge is lacking, but I appreciate the challenge. So, that's tonight. Oh yea, I've started an accountability group with my roommate Joe and our friend Jeremy. I won't be going into details, but our focus will be growing in the word and truth towards a stronger relationship with God. It's my theory that dealing with that first and foremost will bring everything else along with it.

Alright, good first blog, I'm hitting the sack.

1 comment:

Kristian and Katy said...

hey dom! LOVE the blog!! I look really forward to reading your great thoughts. thanks for sharing!
~katy