Thursday, September 27, 2007

God of Earth and Outer Space

Align Center
God of earth and outer space
God of love and God of grace
Bless the astronauts who fly
As they soar beyond the sky
God who flung the stars in space,
God who sets the sun ablaze
Fling the spacecraft thro' the air
Let man know your presence there
God of atmosphere and air,
God of life and planets bare
Use man's courageand his skill
As he seeks your holy will.
God of depth and God of height
God of darkness, God of light,
As man walks in outer space
Teach him how to walk in grace
This was out of the Baptist Hymnal, page twenty, written circa 1975. I didn't have time to copy it all down, there are two more verses about God blessing the astronauts and space ships. And hey, they need blessing too right? This author was hitting an area of society that we neglect in our prayers, the space travelers. My friend Todd read this aloud to my New Testament class today for edification, haha. Seriously, this is the kind of theological joking I deal with everyday at school.


6 comments:

Kristian and Katy said...

well i definitely haven't prayed for this people group in a while.
good to remember :)

faith said...

did i tell you about that hymn before? because i ran across it once too and it cracked me up.... what in the world. or out of the world. heeee

D.O. said...

like Faith, I too have read (and sung?) this hymn before.

I couldn't handle the jokes you have to put up with, I'm pretty sure.

kellie lane said...

hi dom! i just saw you got a blog... i did too. it's kind of fun, but weird at the same time. but i was really excited to read yours. i miss hearing the thoughts going on in your head. even if its just about coffee :-)

Polly said...

God of Purple, God of Gold
God of Policemen, God of scarecrows
God loves all people, even Gypsys

*Hal* said...

I always found it kindof strange as a song when I was young and first came to Christ, course I was 9, and it was 1987... lol.

but I read it now and kindof miss it. And I wonder of the sentiment of it all. Do you really think the Bible really addressed the idea of astronauts?

But that God is there where ever we are in life. Beyond that, I am not sure if I am defending it so much or what... but it does foster discussion and open the door for younger ppl who may not be as apt to relate to 200 hundred year old hymns. idk, I collected a couple old hymnals along the way... and not being all that musically trained, had not clue how to sing the "ancient" songs found therein. being used to the hymnal I grew up with in the southern baptist church.... nearly none of the songs I knew were there.... not even written yet. Hymnals must evolve with time. Or we would probably still be singing songs from when our great great great greats were around. hope that makes sense. God bless. it was a very good post, I enjoyed reading it :)