Sunday, September 23, 2007

tu vuoi un cafe?

Oh yes, this will be the first of many blogs on that most wondrous of all topics: COFFEE.
"Just what is it about coffee?" A question many people ask, not so much out loud but in their minds, I'm pretty sure. Well, at least people that don't already know what it is about coffee. Why does coffee provide so much comfort to those that love it? How can a single cup produce such feelings of euphoria? "You're addicted," would be the typical response, and I might agree that I am addicted. But, the word addiction implies a lack of will in being subservient to a substance. And, I may exhibit a lack of will in the sense that I need coffee to function properly, but the difference is that I want it and I like it. A lot. And as far as I'm concerned it only improves my quality of life. Enough justifying my coffee intake.

Coffee is so much more than that bitter brown liquid that makes your breath smell bad. Coffee begins with the earth and it ends with community. After Jesus, coffee just might be the answer we're looking for. There is both art and science involved in creating a good cup of coffee. If you want an absolutely unique cup of coffee, that tastes good too, you can have it and you only need creativity and a little knowledge. Now, I am not the most knowledgable coffee connousieur, however, even with an elementary level acquaintance I am able to appreciate its many dimensions.

As I said earlier, coffee begins with the earth and ends with community. Hundreds of years of tradition lie behind the growing of coffee by those native farmers. They know their land, their family has known their land for generations. Entire communities in all those beautiful parts of the world depend on the consumption of coffee. Beautiful communites, you've seen the pictures! You cannot simply grow a coffee bean in your backyard. Well, you might get lucky but it won't be great. A lot goes into a good coffee bean just as a lot goes into a good grape and a good glass of wine. Speaking of alcohol in reference to Southwestern's policy of abstinence specifically, I will quote my friend Todd, "coffee is my new beer." Indeed, coffee embodies all those vices I'd like to partake in as a true appreciater, because unlike those others it won't get me kicked out of school.

Believe me friends, I have only begun my dissertation on coffee and its magnificence. The earth is only the first of many steps towards community through coffee. Stay tuned as I attempt to unravel the transcendent qualities of the perfect cup.

By the way, I have no tv so writing has become my new outlet. A bit more constructive, no? The only issue is that it robs study time, though the study time probably needs robbing.

No comments: