Saturday, February 23, 2008

george macdonald and other things...



I'm going to recommend an author to you. You may not have ever heard of him but I guarantee that you have benefited from his influence in countless ways. His name is George MacDonald, he has a killer beard, and the only book of his I have ever read is The Curate's Awakening. Other writers through whom we have unknowingly been acquainted with MacDonald are the likes of Francis Schaeffer, C.S. Lewis, and J.R. Tolkein. Lewis wrote a book on MacDonald aptly named, George MacDonald. McD's thoughts of God are clearly some of the highest I've read, certainly among the genre of fiction. I'm not knocking any of the others, I'm simply telling how great it is to read his writing. So if you're looking for the next book or author, he comes highly recommended.



Here I am six months later still in Texas, still in Fort Worth, still in seminary. Some of you may know that at certain intervals throughout those months I was about ready to throw in the towel and cruise back to Colorado. Or maybe I'd be better understood by saying that at certain intervals I considered staying in seminary. Well, I didn't act on the impulse to leave no matter how it lingered, and I am glad for it. I believe I've been comforted about where I am. It's a good place for me to be no matter how convinced I am at times that it's a bad place for me to be. The Lord has seen fit to strip me of nearly everything I clung to as desirable and pleasing; mountains, close friends, money, a church I completely agree with, and yes, ministry. Odd that he would strip me of ministry isn't it? None of these are bad in themselves and in fact I would say that most are good most, if not all, of the time. So why strip me of them? Because as I said a few sentences ago, I CLUNG to them. Not that I am entirely free and not that I ever will be ENTIRELY free while on earth, but I am less needy and more open to what He has for me now. It is good that I am here, though I can think of two dozen other places I would rather be. Though if I truly would rather be in those places why wouldn't I be, since I am as free as I wish to do so? I suppose I'm truly not that free because my desire has become to do what God wishes of me to do, and I have come to believe that means seminary, which happens to have ended up in Fort Worth. And throughout seminary I will learn what it means to do His will, which most likely will be through ministering to others through the love of the Jesus of the New Testament.


I have learned to be content.


It feels right. I pray that it continues because through contentment in God I can endure anything, right? How much better used will I be if I can work anywhere under any circumstance? (believe me I want to be used in a beautiful, interesting place, but you know what i mean)


The real reason I had not posted in three months; I had no idea what was goin on.


2 comments:

faith said...

dom, i fully have confidence that you too can grow a beard such as mcD's.

Mike said...

I have an idea...stop writing blogs about dead mcdonalds with cool beards, and start writing them about mcdonald's who u know...and who are more smarterer then that guy...cause hes a dumby head. just kidding, i enjoyed your blogs...a nice break from mid terming