Wednesday, February 27, 2008

ripsticks and cowboy hats



Today I crossed one more goal off my very lofty and lengthy "dominick's life to-do list."

I learned how to ride a ripstick.

"What's a ripstick?" you ask. Well, just reference the picture at the top of the blog. I'm sure you've seen the local twelve and thirteen year old boys shredding up your neighborhood streets on them. And I'm certain that the glint off their shiny clear coat has caught your eye in toys-r-us more than once. I was lucky enough to borrow one for the week from chandler, a freshman dude in my church's youth group. It's rad. Candy apple red just like the picture.

And yes, it only has two wheels. I'm pretty sure we got the technology from Area 51, probably martian.

I had an hour to kill this afternoon in between work and a take home test, and the weather was perfect. So I cruised that baby up and down my side-walk. Killer.

Ok, on a serious note I saw a guy today wearing a cowboy hat. "Big deal" you say, "You live in Fort
Worth." True.

The thing is, this guy was my height...in other words, not very tall. And he looked ridiculous in the cowboy hat because of his height. This is not the first time I've considered the height to cowboy hat ratio, but it confirmed my personal conviction; short dudes should not wear cowboy hats. We don't make cool looking cowboys even if we do have handle bar mustaches.

If you're not an actual cowboy you need to be tall to pull off the cowboy hat...or really stout...or mexican.

This guy was none of the above and neither am I, except in the middle of summer.

I have decided that if I were living back in the olden days when cowboy hats were less fashionable and more functional I would have been ok. Though, I probably would have opted for a hat more the style of Russell Crowes in 3:10 to Yuma; short brim, lower crown. You have to be a bad-a to pull that one off, so I most likely would have killed numerous men to get away with wearing it.

3 comments:

lo said...

deal.


how do you know katy and kristian?

anne h. alley said...

THE BLOG IS BACK.

i couldn't be happier.

i laughed out loud more than once while reading.

on a related note, i learned how to skateboard this weekend. i'm really impressed with your ripstick endeavor. well done...

Kristian and Katy said...

welcome back to the blog train, dom; its a good train.